Victoria’s oldest, original existing house, built on one of the largest leases in Port Phillip colony.
McCrae Homestead is one of Victoria’s oldest homesteads and is a physical reminder of the early pioneering life.
Built in 1844 by lawyer Andrew McCrae and his artist wife Georgiana, the Homestead is a rare example of drop slab construction. Made using local materials such as messmate, stringybark and wattle it was sold the homestead to the National Trust in 1970 by Georgiana’s great-great-great grandson.
The Homestead is one of Victoria’s oldest, original existing houses, and was built on a large lease in the Port Phillip colony, Arthur’s Seat Run, comprising 33 square miles or 20,500 acres (8,296ha). The building was designed by Georgiana McCrae who was the illegitimate daughter of the 5th Duke of Gordon, a talented artist and dedicated diarist. The McCrae family were one of the first six pioneer families to establish properties on the Mornington Peninsula. The homestead has been restored back to its original features and includes many pieces of furniture, art and objects from the McCrae family to create the life of these Scottish migrants and demonstrate the type of lifestyle of pioneer settlers in the Port Phillip Colony.
The Visitor’s Centre, located on the property, features two galleries, one of which is dedicated to the McCrae family and particularly to Georgiana’s art and memorabilia, and the other features incredible photography, artefacts and objects from the Burrell-Twycross family who lived at McCrae Homestead from 1851 to 1926.
Phone03 5981 2866